6 Morning Rituals To Boost Your Mood, Health + Productivity
Contributed by Marissa Vicario, award-winning Certified Integrative Health and Nutrition Coach
There’s no doubt about it– I am a morning person and I truly believe that how I start my morning sets the tone and intention for the rest of the day. With that in mind, I’ve devised a morning routine that works for me. These are the six things I do every morning to get my day started on a healthy track:
- Drink hot water with lemon + apple cider vinegar – this tonic of alkalizing lemon and apple cider vinegar is a small but effective way for me to hit the reset button every morning. It helps to cleanse my system and because I’m not a coffee drinker, it offers something warm and comforting to sip on as I wake up.
- Meditate – I spend some time meditating every morning. Ten minutes is all I need. I either sit in silence and set a time on my phone or choose a guided meditation. I notice a vast difference in how I approach my day once I’ve given myself this time to clear my head.
- Journal my visions + intentions – While I’m not religious about this one, if I notice my mind is really active during my meditation, I take a few moments to journal stream of consciousness about what’s coming up for me or my intentions for the day.
- Start with movement – After 45 minutes to an hour of alone time, I hit the gym. I must start my day with exercise because it makes me more focused and productive. How I exercise depends on what my body needs – I switch it up with cardio, strength training or yoga.
- Eat a nutritious breakfast – My favorite meal of the day! Breakfast always consists of protein, fiber and healthy fat whether it’s eggs, a protein smoothie bowl with Purely Elizabeth granola or chia pudding. Again, my breakfasts vary depending on what my body is craving.
- Prioritize my to-do list – One I’m properly fueled, hydrated and energized, I take a look at my to-do list and decide where I’ll focus that day. I’m always more focused in the morning, so I tackle the most important and urgent tasks then.
Marissa Vicario is the best-selling author of Your Holistically Hot Transformation: Embrace a Healthy Lifestyle Free of Dieting Confusion and Self-Judgement. As an award-winning Certified Integrative Health and Nutrition Coach, Women’s Health & Lifestyle Expert and the Founder of Marissa’s Well-being and Health.