Almond Biscotti with Peppermint
grain-free // gluten-free
Maybe Santa wants to switch up the Christmas cookie lineup this year! These Almond Biscotti with Peppermint from last year's Purely Winter Magazine are the perfect treat to leave out for Santa, OR to pair with coffee or hot cocoa on Christmas morning (or any cozy winter day, really).
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp coconut oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Peppermint crumbs for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf tin with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Whisk the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Using 2 forks, cut in the coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract together. Pour into the flour/butter mixture and gently mix together. The dough will be wet. Turn dough into loaf tin.
4. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the top and sides of the biscotti slabs are lightly browned. Remove from the oven, but do not turn off the heat. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
5. Once the slab is cool enough to handle, cut into 1 inch thick slices. Set slice scut sides upright and 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Return to the oven to continue baking for 10 minutes. Turn the biscotti over and bake on other side for 10 minutes, or until the biscotti starts to brown around the edges. The cookies will be slightly soft in the center, with harder edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before dipping in chocolate.
6. Melt chocolate in the microwave using 15 second increments and stirring after each increment until completely melted. Dip biscotti and sprinkle with crumbled peppermint. Allow chocolate to set in the refrigerator or freezer before serving.