The Sweet Side of Entrepreneurship and Creating a Clean, Delicious Cookie
Celebrating Our Crew Of Delicious Non-GMO Project Verified Foods This Month!
Celebrate good times — it’s October! Which not only means pumpkin flavored everything, leaves changing color, and cooler weather — it also means Non-GMO Month.
The Non-GMO Project started Non-GMO month in 2010 in order to educate the public and spotlight Non-GMO Project Verified choices on shelves. Here we are in the seventh year of Non-GMO month, and we cannot wait to celebrate with you guys!
But first things first before we get to the celebration: let’s talk about GMOs:
What are they?
- According to The Non-GMO Project’s website, “A GMO, or genetically modified organism, is a plant, animal, microorganism or other organism whose genetic makeup has been modified using recombinant DNA methods (also called gene splicing), gene modification or transgenic technology”
- It involves modifying and altering DNA in some way through genetic engineering
- GMOs are usually altered with DNA from another organism, like bacteria, plants, viruses, or animals
- Basically it is breeding together things that wouldn’t normally breed together
What’s the problem?
- The main issue is the lack of transparency in labeling of GMOs
- Everyone should have the right to know what is in their food and then decide themselves whether or not to consumer genetically modified organisms
Where do I find them?
- GMOs can be found in a lot of the products we consume on a daily basis
- Especially high-risk products include meat, dairy, eggs, and honey (because of GMOs in animal feed)
What’s the current legislation situation?
- This summer congress passed a bill that requires food companies to disclose GMOs
- However, this bill does not require using a GMO label on packaging
- There are several disclosure options, such as using a QR code on packaging
We are all about transparency here at Purely Elizabeth and also are passionate about eating and living purely. We choose to not use GMOs in our products and communicate that up front. We are proud to carry the Non-GMO label on all 28 of our products, which can be found on Purely Elizabeth’s website.
So look out for this label when shopping. It’s the Non-GMO label found on our products and others that are GMO-free!
Furthermore, to find and research other Non-GMO Products and Retailers, check out the Product/Retailer locator on The Non-GMO Project’s website.