Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Sandwich
gluten-free // vegan
Obsessed with this festive and *healthy* take on a classic sandwich cookie! @alicepages used our Original Superfood Oats in the recipe, so even though they look indulgent, they're secretly full of nutritious superfood ingredients- perfect for guilt-free holiday snacking.
1 1/4 cup Purely Elizabeth Original Superfood Oats (120 g)
1/2 cup almond flour (25 g)
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened (50 g)
1 tsp baking powder (4 g)
1 pinch of salt
1 flax-egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (35 g)
1/4 cup apple sauce, unsweetened (50 g)
4 tbsp maple syrup (75 g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup raw cashews (130 g)
3 tbsp thick full-fat coconut cream (50 g)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp powdered sugar (25 g)
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate (70 g)
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted (15 g)
Crushed candy cane
1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whist the Purely Elizabeth Original Oatmeal, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Prepare the flax-egg by adding the flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
4. Whisk together melted coconut oil, apple sauce, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Then add the thickened flax-egg mixture and stir until fully combined.
5. Pour the wet preparation to the dry ingredients, and stir using a spatula until combined. The dough should be firm, shapable and just a little sticky.
6. Scoop the dough by the tablespoon, form a ball and place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. With your palm, lightly press down on each ball of dough to flatten and shape round cookies. Alternatively: roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper into a 1/4-inch-thick round and use a 2-inch round cookie cutter to cut out cookies.
7. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until dry to touch. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
1. Soak the cashews in boiling water for 30 minutes to soften. Drain and rinse the cashews, and place in a high-speed blender with lemon juice and sugar. Blend on high-speed until smooth.
2. Then add the coconut cream and peppermint extract and blend again until creamy and fluffy. Taste and adjust the quantity of peppermint. Transfer to a bowl and place into the freezer for at least 30 minutes to set.
1. Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil and stir until smooth. 2. Layer the peppermint frosting between the cookies to create sandwiches. 3. Dip each cookie sandwich in halfway, then place on a plate lined with parchment paper and immediately sprinkle crushed candy cane on top. Place the cookie sandwiches in the freezer for a few minutes to set before enjoying. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 week.