Elevated Hummus Platter
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free // Makes 1 Bowl // 6-8 servings
Build your own elevated hummus platter with us! I love this recipe adapted from one of Carolina Gelen's masterpiece recipes because you can follow along the whole way through or adjust how you like! This savory dish can be a nutritious filling snack, a better-for-you-party appetizer, or an addition to any entree!
Prep time: 1 hourJUMP TO RECIPE
Looking for a refreshing snack, lunch or even appetizer? This elevated hummus plate is a perfect recipe to add to your rotation. Not only is it delicious, but it is packed with nutrition and is made with a variety of ingredients. While we are using store bought hummus in this recipe, feel free to make your own! Adapted from Carolina Gelen's hummus plate recipe, you can make this as simple or 'extra' as you please!
Ingredients you will need to make this hummus plate:
Chickpeas: Chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and add a nice crunchy texture to the hummus bowl.
Olive Oil: Olive oil is essential in any Mediterranean food. Olive oil is high in monounsaturated fats, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease. It also contains polyphenols, which have anti-inflammatory properties
Spices: Chili powder and cayenne for some spice and garlic powder and cumin for classic flavors that go well with hummus.
Salt: No recipe is complete without salt!
Jalapeno: If you look a bit of additional spice, I love adding fresh jalapeno to this recipe. Remove the seeds for less heat or keep them in for a nice kick.
Parsley: A common herb used to pair with hummus, the parsley adds the herby flavor to the dish.
Cucumber: Cucumber adds freshness and is a wonderful veggie to pair with hummus.
Lemons: The lemon adds the acidity needed to offset the olive oil.
Pita Bread: Making your own pita chips takes a bit more time but is so rewarding. We love a crunchy and chewy texture for our hummus carrier.
Sesame Seeds: Playing off the tahini in the recipe, the sesame seeds round out the flavor profile. When they are toasted, the seeds' flavor develops even more.
Hummus: Feel free to use storebought or homemade!
Paprika, optional: Mostly used for color, we love to add a pop of red to the plate.
Tahini: Ground sesame seeds make for a creamy, delicious flavor to add to any hummus recipe.
Garlic: Adding garlic to the tahini dressing elevates the flavor and adds brightness to the dish.
1 can of chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp chili powder
⅛ tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt
Paprika for color, optional
Jalapeno & Herb Salad
1 jalapeno, sliced, with or without seeds (depending on desired spice level)
½ cup fresh parsley
1 cup cucumber, sliced in rounds
1 tsp lemon zest
Juice of half of 1 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of salt
Homemade Pita Chips
1 bag of pita bread
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup sesame seeds
Pinch of salt
½ cup tahini, runny
Juice of 1 lemon
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
Warm water to add for desired consistency
Hummus, store bought or homemade
Olive oil, to drizzle, optional
Paprika, for color, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Prepare your chickpeas. After straining the chickpeas, place on a towel to fully dry. Once dried, toss with olive oil and spices and place on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until golden and very crispy.
3. Prepare your pita bread. cut the pita bread in 4 triangles. Toss pita bread in olive oil and dip in sesame seeds to fully coat. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
4. While your pita chips and chickpeas are baking, prepare jalapeno and herb salad. Place all ingredients into a medium bowl and toss to combine. Do not overwork the fresh herbs as they are delicate! Set aside to marinate.
5. Make your tahini dressing by combining tahini, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil and whisk to combine. This will create a thicker paste. Slowly add 1 tbsp of warm water at a time until the consistency becomes similar to a runny dressing. Set aside.
6. Once chickpeas and pita chips are done baking, prepare your hummus plate.
7. Smooth hummus on shallow bowl or plate. Next, add tahini dressing, followed by chickpeas and herb salad. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and enjoy with your homemade pita chips!
Live Purely With Samantha Harris
The Power of Positivity and Living Your Healthiest HealthyRead more
Purely "Twix" Bars
Try our recipe for a healthier take on Twix bars! Who says delicious can't also be good for you?Read more
4 Tips To Host The Perfect Brunch
A stress-free guide with helpful tips, recipes, decor ideas, and more.Read more