Good Health Is More Than Diet | Pillars of Living Purely
Good health is more than diet. This is one of the four Pillars of Living Purely you will find on the back of our new packaging. This pillar is very important to me as I believe health should be approached holistically. We tend to put an emphasis on diet when we think about the idea of health. But, there’s so much more than what you eat that constitutes good health. Exercising regularly, practicing self-care to control daily stress, spending time with friends and family and maintaining a positive mindset are only a few ways to work towards good health. My goal with Purely Elizabeth has always been to inspire you through food with the hope that it inspires you in other areas of your life, and that is why the Pillars of Living Purely are the foundation of my beliefs and the Purely Elizabeth idea.
As an early riser, I always like to start my day off with a workout. Getting up and moving my body first thing in the morning is how I set my intention for the day. Setting aside at least 30 minutes per day to move your body is one of the easiest ways you can improve your physical and mental health. Here are few of my favorite ways to get active that will hopefully inspire you to move your body today!
- Morning Peloton Ride: If you follow me on Instagram you know that when I am not traveling, I love to get up and sweat it out on my Peloton bike. Unlike running, a stationary bike is a great option if you are looking for a workout that’s easy on the joints but high in cardio.
- Sunrise or Sunset hike/walk: Living in Boulder, CO, I am fortunate to have the mountains nearby. After I’ve spent a full day in the Purely Elizabeth office, I crave a workout outdoors. Whether you are near a trail, mountain or walking path in your neighborhood, I encourage you to take your workout outside 2-3 days a week to reconnect with nature.
- Yoga: When I’ve spent a lot of time on planes, sitting at my desk or in my car, a C2 Corepower Yoga class helps me stretch and re-center my body. The simple twisting and stretching in a yoga class helps improve digestive function and circulation in the body.
When I’m feeling stressed, I try to face it head on by incorporating positive experiences in my day that benefit my mental health. Stress management techniques can help improve overall happiness and satisfaction. Instead of letting stress consume you, try these five techniques to help you turn a negative feeling into a positive one.
- Meditate – Before you begin your day take ten minutes to meditate right when you wake up. I either sit in silence and set a time on my phone or choose a guided meditation. I notice a vast difference in how I approach my day once I’ve given myself this time to clear my head.
- Make a “To-Do” List – When I physically write down a list of tasks, my day doesn’t seem as overwhelming and I am able to prioritize things much easier.
- Learn how to say “no”– I’m sure many of us are guilty of being people pleasers to some degree. Always saying yes to happy hour, to taking on a new work assignment, etc. This can lead to major burnout. Listen to how you truly feel and don’t be afraid to say no when you need a break.
- Make time for a hobby – Remove yourself from the aspects of your daily routine that cause you stress and take 30 minutes a day to do something that causes you joy. When I’m feeling stressed, I love cooking a delicious meal and focusing all of my energy on making the food.
- Go to bed early – Lack of sleep can increase feelings of stress. Going to bed at the same time every night and working to get at 8 hours of sleep can help you reset your body and decrease stress levels.
Surrounding yourself with positive people that inspire you and support you can have a tremendous impact on your health. When I first started Purely Elizabeth, I made it a goal to connect with as many people in the food industry as possible. In each of our Purely Magazines, I interview someone that has been either impactful for me or impactful within the food, health and wellness industry. Sharing stories and experiences with friends and family is such an important aspect of good health and Purely Elizabeth wouldn’t be where it is today without my support system.
Exercising, managing your stress and maintaining healthy relationships all help me work towards maintaining a positive mindset. Whenever my mind starts heading down a negative path, I try my best to refocus it positively through some of the techniques below:
- Get Outside – Even if its for 10 minutes during your work day. Feeling the sun on your face is a great way to refresh your mind.
- Call a Friend – If I’m in need of a pick-me-up, I will call a friend to catch up. Laughing can quickly turn your day around.
- Take Deep Breaths – Taking long, full breaths can release stale, negative air from your body.
- Do Something Good – Small acts of kindness are a wonderful way to put things in perspective when you are feeling down.
Look out for more information on the other Pillars of Living Purely coming soon!