Healthier Egg Bites
Gluten-Free // Makes 12 servings
These egg bites are perfect for your next brunch party! They're easy to make and serve! They may be bite-sized but aren't lacking in flavors or nutritious ingredients.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook: 20-25 minutes
1/2 cup Cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional
1 tbsp olive oil
⅓ cup diced shallot
1 ½ cup fresh spinach, ripped into small pieces
½ of a large red bell pepper, diced
Asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Fill a pan with water and place in the oven. This will help create steam in the oven while the egg bites are baking. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or coat with oil.
3. In a blender, add eggs, cottage cheese, salt and pepper and cayenne. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
4. Set a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add olive oil followed by the diced shallots. Saute until soft and translucent. Set aside. In the same pan, add the red pepper and saute until soft.
5. Place half of the diced shallots, red pepper and spinach into a bowl and set aside. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add salt to water followed by the asparagus and blanch for 3-4 minutes. Strain and place in ice bath. Remove from bath and dry before adding to a bowl with the remaining shallots.
6. Prep your egg bites. Add the red pepper, shallot and spinach mixture to 6 of the muffin tins. Pour the egg mixture into the tins until it is two thirds full. Top with cheddar cheese. Add the shallot, asparagus mixture to the remaining 6 muffin tins. Fill with remaining egg mixture and top with gruyere cheese.
7. Place tin on the middle rack and bake for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are just set. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin.