Lavender Vanilla Oatmeal Shortbread
Gluten-Free, Vegan // Makes 15
Fresh floral, floral vibes and crisp, bright flavors— things we love about spring and High Tea! In the spirit of spring and Mother's Day, we decided to put a Purely twist on the British classic with the help of some influencers from the Purely community. These Lavender Vanilla Oatmeal Shortbread by Gina Fontana (AKA @healthylittlevittles) are vegan, gluten-free, grain-free and, last but not least, TASTY.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
1/4 teaspoon pure lavender extract
1 cup vegan butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure lavender extract
1 bag Purely Elizabeth Original Superfood Oatmeal
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons plant-based milk
Purple food coloring (optional)
Dried lavender, for garnishing (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, or you may alternatively use a hand blender, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Next add the vanilla and lavender extracts to the butter mixture.
3. In a food processor or blender, process the oatmeal, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt until you achieve a fine flour texture.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture in until well combined. Turn the cookie dough out onto a piece of parchment paper and roll the dough out to about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter and cut the dough into rounds.
5. Place the cookie dough rounds onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely before icing.
6. To ice the cookies, whisk together the powdered sugar and plant-based milk until smooth, then add the lavender extract and food coloring if using.
7. Dip each cookie into the icing face down and then place them back onto the parchment paper. Allow the icing to set for about 20-30 minutes. Garnish with dried lavender if desired.