Savory Chive and Cheddar Scones
with Tomato Bacon Jam
grain-free // gluten-free
Fresh floral, floral vibes and crisp, bright flavors— things we love about spring and High Tea! In the spirit of spring and Mother's Day, we decided to put a Purely twist on the British classic with the help of some influencers from the Purely community. These Savory Chive and Cheddar Scones with Bacon Jam by Moriah Brooke (AKA @moriah.brooke) are the perfect savory compliment to any sweet treats you may be whipping up for Mother's Day.
For the scones:
1/4 cup canned coconut milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 package Purely Elizabeth Grain-Free Bread + Muffin Mix
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup cheddar cheese (omit or use vegan cheddar for a dairy-free recipe)
3 tbsp chopped chives
For the tomato bacon jam:
4 slices bacon
8 ripe roma tomatoes
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp salt
To make jam:
1. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry bacon for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until crisp, but not overcooked. Remove to a paper towel and chop into pieces.
2. Add tomatoes, vinegar, coconut sugar, chopped bacon, and salt to the skillet and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes, or until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool (the jam will continue to thicken.) Store in a covered jar in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
To make scones:
1. Pour apple cider vinegar into coconut milk and set aside.
2. Stir together bread mix and baking soda in a large bowl. Use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the coconut oil into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in egg until well combined, then stir in the coconut milk. Fold in cheese and chives.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to scoop the batter onto the baking sheet into 8 biscuits. Use wet fingertips to smooth the batter into 8 biscuit shapes. Bake 20-22 minutes or until lightly golden. The edges will be crisp, but the inside of the scone should still be soft. Serve with jam and enjoy!