Spicy Peanut Stew with Purple Sweet Potato
Gluten-Free, Vegan // Serves 5-6
This Blue Zones inspired stew recipe is the perfect thing to warm you up this season! Featuring purple sweet potatoes, turmeric, garlic, and tomatoes, this spicy stew is sure to become a staple in your fall recipe book.
If you're curious to learn more about the Blue Zones and what inspired this recipe creation, listen to our Live Purely Podcast episode with Blue Zones founder, Dan Buettner!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
Half of 1 yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeno, minced (depending on spice level, remove or keep seeds)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium purple sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (sub regular sweet potato)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1-14 oz can diced tomatoes
1-14 oz can light coconut milk
2 cups water
½ cup chopped peanuts, unsalted
1 cup basmati rice
¼ cup peanut butter, unsalted, unsweetened (sub almond butter)
Juice of 1 lime
Optional toppings: peanuts, cilantro
1. Place a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once heated, add the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Saute until soft and fragrant, about 4-6 minutes.
2. Add sweet potatoes and saute for 3-5 minutes, until lightly browned.
3. Add spices to the pot, sauteing for an additional 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes, coconut milk, water and peanuts. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Adjust seasonings as soup cooks.
5. While the soup is simmering, make your rice per package instructions.
6. Add peanut butter. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes until the soup begins to thicken. Top with more peanuts and cilantro.