White Bean, Butternut Squash, and Kale Harvest Soup
Gluten-Free, Vegetarian // Makes 5 Servings
It’s officially soup season and we have a feeling this Harvest Soup recipe is going to become a staple this autumn. Featuring delicious white beans, cozy butternut squash, and nutritious kale, this soup will warm your bellies as the weather gets cooler.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion, small diced
1 large carrot or 2 medium carrots, small diced
2 celery sticks, small diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp cumin, ground
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
1 lb butternut squash, chopped in bite-size quarters
6-8 thyme sprigs, fresh
2 (15oz) cans Great Northern Beans
4 cups Lacinato Kale, stems removed and rougly shopped
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups water
Parmesan cheese ring, plus more for topping (optional)
Pumpkin seeds, toasted, for topping
1. Place a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil followed by onion, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and saute for 4-6 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
2. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes, ensuring the garlic does not burn.
3. Add chili flakes, cumin and smoked paprika, coating the vegetables in the spice mixture.
4. Add butternut squash, fresh thyme, beans, vegetable broth, water and parmesan rind to the pot. Increase heat to medium-high and bring the liquid to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Reduce heat to medium to medium low and simmer for 25-30 minutes uncovered.
6. Add chopped kale and let blanch in water for 3-4 minutes.
7. Taste soup, adjust seasoning accordingly.
8. Top with parmesan cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds and serve with warm, crusty bread.