Healthy Samoa Cookies
gluten-free // vegan
Everyone's favorite Girl Scout cookie (no contest) just got a Purely makeover. @delight.fuel upgraded the recipe to include wholesome, real food ingredients, such as our Chocolate Sea Salt Probiotic Granola, and she definitely hit the sweet spot.
Granola Shortbread Cookies
1 cup (120g) gluten-free oat flour (sub with brown rice flour)
2 cups (200g) Purely Elizabeth Chocolate Sea Salt Granola
1/4 cup (30g) tapioca flour
1/3 cup (50g) coconut sugar
2 tbsp (50g) maple syrup
1 tsp baking powder
Coconut Caramel Layer
⅔ cup coconut sugar
1 can coconut cream
¼ tsp sea salt
2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
8 oz stevia sweetened dairy-free chocolate (sub with semi sweet chocolate)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 300F and prepare 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor add 200 grams of Chocolate Sea Salt Granola. Process until finely ground.
3. In a bowl mix all dry ingredients including the ground Granola. In a small separate bowl whisk the egg with maple syrup.
3. Add to dry ingredients and combine into a sticky dough with your hands. If too sticky add tapioca flour.
4. On a floured surface roll out dough to ⅛ inch thickness. Cut out cookies with a round linzer cookie cutter or a donut cutter and place on the cookie sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes in the oven.
5. Take cookies out of the oven and let them cool down for about 15 minutes. Repeat the process until the dough is gone.
Coconut Caramel Layer
1. Combine coconut sugar and coconut cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2. Reduce heat and keep simmering over low heat for about 30-40 minutes stirring every few minutes until it thickened.
3. Let the caramel sauce cool and add salt. Set aside and it will thicken even more while cooling.
4. Spread coconut flakes evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring every few minutes to ensure even toasting. Set aside to cool.
5. Stir coconut flakes into the cooled caramel.
6. Assemble Samoa cookies by adding 1-2 tbsp of caramel coconut mixture onto each
cookie ring. With a spoon or your fingers spread onto the cookie evenly.
7. Place cookies in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
8. Take cookies out of the freezer and dip into melted chocolate. Drizzle some additional chocolate on top and sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Enjoy!
9. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5-7 days.
It's always a sweet treat to work with the Founder of Sweet Laurel Bakery!Read more